History

For almost 350 years we have been providing housing for those in need across Edgware. See below the timeline of our history.

Timeline

1680

Samuel Atkinson, a wealthy carpenter leaves a legacy to establish Atkinsons Almshouses.

1707

Thomas Napier establishes a charity to endow the charity through land purchase.

 

Mr Watts gives land to Edgware Parish to establish a further charity whose income was given in aid of poor people in the parish.

1820

Edgware Parish decides to dedicate the income from Watts’ charity to Atkinson’s Almshouses.

1828

Wealthy entrepreneur Charles Day builds 8 one-room dwellings “for poor men and women of good character, with preference given to parishioners of Edgware and Little Stanmore”. Day’s generous but scandalous tale is told in Neil Price’s excellent book ‘Dickens’s Favourite Blacking Factory’ which is available on Amazon.

 

1834

Day founds a charity to oversee the dwellings.

1842

Following Day’s death in 1836, his executors establish Day’s Almshouse Charity with the dwellings

1878

Harriet Hurst Charity founded to support Atkinsons almshouses.

1897

Atkinson’s, Watts’, Hurst’s and the unnamed charities are merged by a Charity Commission Scheme for “the provision of almshouses for poor persons of good character who have resided in the Ancient Parish of Edgware for at least 2 years.”

1940

Atkinson’s Almshouses destroyed by German bombs.

1957

Atkinson’s Almshouses rebuilt.

1960

2 more homes added to the Atkinson’s site with a 1943 legacy from the Margaret Abel Trust.

1972

Atkinson’s Almshouses upgraded with individual bathrooms.

2002-3

Day’s Almshouses undertakes a major refurbishment adding a rear extension and modern amenities to the properties.

2004

Day’s refurbishment receives a Patron’s award from the National Association of Almshouses.

2005

Atkinson’s and Day’s charities consolidated to establish “The Day’s and Atkinson’s Almshouse Charity” with the Charity commission.

2010-11

The combined charities to regenerate the site by buying the next-door house and increasing the number of dwellings from 6 to with a new three-storey block with 13 dwellings (7 2-bedroom and 6 1-bedroom flats) and 2 4-bedroom, semi-detached houses.

2015

Atkinson’s new build receives a Patron’s Award from then Prince Charles through the National Association of Almshouses.